New OPA Europe - Ipsos study reveals Internet users’ attitudes, habits and opinions regarding online video content
Paris, 14 February 2010 – The Online Publishers Association Europe today announced the results of research done in partnership with Ipsos MediaCT. Attitudes, habits and opinions of internet users regarding online video content were examined across 8 European markets: UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Poland and Greece.
Overwhelmingly, users have a positive opinion of online video news, and most consider it important that news sites offer news in video form, and view it frequently. Almost 3/4 of users download or watch online video, and of those video news users, more than 2/3 watch or download video news at least once a week.
Key findings include:
- 72% of those surveyed download or watch online video
- Online video news* is the most downloaded / watched type of digital video
- For half of the users, the presence of video news is extremely / very important when accessing online news
- Overall opinion about online video news is positive for almost all users (92%, with 24% having a very positive opinion)
- The brand that manages the video news website/service is important for half of the users (extremely important for 18%)
- Frequency of viewership is high: 68% of video news users watch or download a video news at least once a week (37% of the sample)
- Online video news is sought mainly for the latest news & headlines (54% of users) and for watching TV news that has been missed (47%)
- News video users look most for national news reports (67% of users), international news, entertainment, weather and traffic
- About one third of users show some intention to pay for video news content, mainly for HD Videos and live broadcasting of special events
- * ONLINE video news = Movie/TV trailers, previews or clips; Entertainment news or clips; Weather information, forecasts or clips; Sports highlights or clips; Local or national newscasts, updates or clips; Live sporting events; Business or financial video news, updates or clips
Current OPA Europe President Tomasz Józefacki of Agora commented:
“OPA Europe members, the region’s leading online news and information publishers, offer extensive video news content which they produce or develop in partnership with other media companies. Our research into online video news once again underscores the importance of trusted brands and editorial and production standards when providing high quality content of all types, including video.”
For study results covering the aggregate of the 8 countries, please visit
(Individual country data is available only to OPA Europe members.)
~ END ~
OPA Europe Press Contact:
Ms. Amy Porter
About OPA Europe :
Founded in 2003 by some of the European Internet's leading content brands, OPA Europe represents the interests of first-rate online publishers before the advertising community, the press, governmental and European institutions and the public at large. OPA Europe seeks to establish and promote the Internet as an effective advertising medium for marketers and a sustainable media business for publishers, thereby ensuring the continued availability of quality content to serve the public good. Members of OPA Europe are: 24 Media (Greece), AdMeld (UK), Agora (Poland), Gruppo Espresso (Italy), International Herald Tribune/New York Times Media Group (Europe), Lambrakis Press (Greece), Le Monde Interactif (France), Il Sole 24 Ore (Italy), Le Temps (Switzerland), Prisacom/El País (Spain), RCS Mediagroup (Italy), Turkuvaz Media group (Turkey), Unidad Editorial/El Mundo (Spain) and Spiegel Online (Germany).
OPA Europe members represent, collectively, more than
- 23 million unique visits daily
- 27 million sessions daily
- 200 million page views daily
Ipsos MediaCT Press Contact:
About Ipsos MediaCT:
Ipsos MediaCT is the Media, Content & Technology Research brand of Ipsos.
Ipsos is one of the world's leading survey-based marketing research firms. Founded and run by market research professionals, Ipsos interprets, simulates, and anticipates the needs and reactions of consumers, customers and citizens – locally, nationally and around the world. Ipsos has a direct presence in more than 66 countries globally and conducts research in more than 100.
As an historical player in audience measurement for major national and international media, Ipsos MediaCT proposes a broad expertise including traditional and digital media audience measurement, syndicated media research, content development and testing, software services, market sizing and segmentation, customer acquisition and retention, media brand equity measurement, as well as the creation and running of on-line panels and communities and techniques for forecasting the likely success of new content, products and services.
Article: Social Advertisers Rely on Branded Pages More Than Paid Ads
24 May 2013
Article: Mobile Ad Spend on the Rise in Germany and France
23 May 2013
Article: In China, a Broad Affinity for Apps
22 May 2013
Newsroom: eMarketer Event: Detroit Breakfast – June 18, 2013
21 May 2013
Newsroom: eMarketer Event – London Breakfast – May 23, 2013
10 May 2013